SEND Information Report

SEN Link to Local Offer 

What is the SEND Local Offer?

The local authorities and other services must set out a Local Offer of all services available to support children who are disabled or who have special educational needs and their families. The local offer will enable families to understand what services they can access and what support they can expect from a range of local agencies, including from the local authority, health services, schools, leisure services and the voluntary sector. The offer will include provision from birth to 25, across education, health and social care.

Knowing what is out there gives you more choice and therefore more control over what support is right for your child.  The local offer provides information on a number of things, including: 

  • Special educational provision
  • Health provision
  • Social care provision
  • Other educational provision
  • Training provision
  • Travel arrangements for children and young people to schools, colleges and early years education
  • Preparing children and young people for adulthood, including housing, employment and leisure opportunities.

The potential outcomes of the Local Offer are:

  • To provide clarity and confidence for parents.
  • To support earlier intervention.
  • To reduce the need for assessment.
  • To identify need and gaps in provision.
  • To provide an evidence base for improving progress and securing better outcomes, at school and local level. 

This report forms Willoughby Road Academy’s local offer in terms of what we can offer children with SEND in or via the school. This includes how we can provide access to other organisations, but more specifically what support the Academy will offer directly to pupils and parents.

For more information on the Local Offer from the council please click on the link below

North Lincolnshire Council SEN Local Offer Information 

At Willoughby Road Primary Academy, we take into account the wide range of abilities, aptitudes and interests of our children in our planning, teaching and assessing. We aim to be an inclusive community where every child has full educational access, where every pupil, regardless of their specific needs, makes the best possible progress.

Good quality teaching is essential in achieving this, however for some pupils there are times when additional support may be needed to help them move forward. This is when our SEND support systems, either in school or from specialists outside school will be engaged to support pupils, parents and teachers. 

We value the significant contribution made by parents/carers and strongly believe in the importance of working together as a team. Please feel welcome to speak to us about any aspect of your child’s provision: concerns, queries, ideas or just to keep us updated.  

The SEN team consists of:

Mrs Elaine Jupp: Head of Academy, designated Child Protection Officer

Mrs Bridget Solly: Deputy designated Child Protection Officer

Mrs Sarah Cox: Deputy designated Child Protection Officer

Miss Emma Walker: Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator

Ms Jo Westwood: Family Safeguarding Officer / deputy designated Child Protection Officer

Mrs Gill Krochmal: SEN Teaching Assistant

Miss Kerry Brooks: SEN & Inclusion Admin

(Many other staff are trained in specific intervention programmes)

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND)?

Your first point of contact is your child’s Class teacher who is responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, some additional support from the classroom Teaching Assistant,) and letting the SENCO know as necessary.
  • Writing any Personalised Learning Plans and sharing and reviewing these with you each term. Planning for the next term, setting targets for the next teacher.
  • In liaison with the Inclusion Team staff, ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Deploying teaching assistants flexibly and effectively to support SEN pupils where necessary.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with identified SEND needs.

The SENCO  (Currently Ms Emma Walker) who is responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are comprehensive records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Liaising with parents of pupils with SEND.
  • Liaising with the Local Authority and its services.
  • Liaising with other settings and parents/carers leading up to, and during transition, either at the end of a key stage, phase or year.  To support moves between schools during term time; ensuring all parties make informed decisions.
  • Working with the Principal and the academy’s Education Advisory Board to ensure that the school meets its responsibilities under the Equality Act (2010) with regard to reasonable adjustments and access arrangements.

The Headteacher who is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • She will give responsibility to the SENCO and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

Academy Advisory Board who are responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.

How does Willoughby Road Primary Academy know if children need extra help?

  • At Willoughby Road our pupils are continually assessed; staff observe the children in class and in other situations. They talk to and listen to children alongside formal assessments of work. They know their children well. Concerns are reported to the SENCO and arrangements are made to meet with parents/carers to discuss the way forward.
  • Concerns are expressed by parents/carers, teachers, teaching assistants, family safeguarding officer, pupils or noted on entry to school if the pupil is new to school.
  • (Initial concerns noted on appropriate form).
  • Termly pupil progress meetings are held between the Senior Leadership Team and the class-teacher to discuss the progress of all pupils. Concerns are discussed at this point regarding pupils who are failing to make progress academically or in other aspects such as engagement within class. More regular meetings are held between SENCO and staff re pupils on SEN register.
  • Initial identification may also be made as a result of information from other professional such as a social worker.
  • There are changes in the pupil’s behaviour.

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.

All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice. For your child this would mean:

That the teacher has the high expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

That all planning and teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand. Lessons will support individual needs as far as is possible (differentiated).

Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn. This may involve additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in and out of the classroom.

Specific group work with in a smaller group of children.

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning, which means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school. This is called an Intervention group and may be:

  • Run in the classroom or other small learning space.
  • Run by a teacher or teaching assistant who has had training to run these groups.

Intervention groups often support pupils with specific areas of difficulty such as phonics, numeracy or literacy skills. 

Sometimes a pupil will need more specialist support in addition to quality first teaching and intervention. You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward. For some pupils more in-depth assessments are necessary. You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better.

Parents/carers are kept fully informed throughout the process.

Recommendations may include:

Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group A group or individual work with outside professional guidance.

The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. We will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

Who are some of the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

  • Autistic Spectrum Education Team (ASET)
  • Educational Psychology Team.
  • Visually Impaired Service.
  • Hearing Support Service.
  • Audiology Support Team.
  • Speech and Language Therapy Team.
  • Primary Behaviour Support Team.
  • Occupational Therapy.
  • Physiotherapy.
  • School Nursing Service.
  • EWO (Educational Welfare Officers).
  • EPU (Educational Preparation Unit).
  • CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service).
  • LACES Team (support for looked after children)
  • Therapeutic Play.


Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

  • Severe, complex and potentially lifelong

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plan). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher, SENCO or other professional as needing a particularly high level of individual support or small group teaching. In this instance the school will apply for an EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plan). The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), the L.A. will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all the professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support in school and with the outside agencies already involved.

After the reports have all been sent to the Local Authority (L.A), the L.A will then decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more specified extra support in school to make good progress. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). 

The ECHP will outline the support your child will receive from the LA, how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child. The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher or the SENCO.

How will we support your child to access the curriculum?

  • Class staff teams know the profile of their class and individual needs and learning activities are planned to match children’s learning needs. 
  • The environment is stimulating and supportive.  Learning Walls and interactive displays provide prompts and reminders to encourage children to learn and achieve independently.
  • Each class has a teacher and a teaching assistant. Some have additional teaching assistants.
  • Classes are well resourced and for children with additional needs, specialised equipment such as writing slopes, can be arranged.
  • All staff have access to training, advice and resources to enable them to contribute to developing fully inclusive practice.

How will my child’s overall well-being be supported?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include:

  • Members of staff such as the class teacher, teaching assistants, SENCO, safeguarding officer and senior leaders are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns. Our focus is on Restorative Practice.
  • Our Family Safeguarding Officer works with groups and individuals to try to resolve issues. They work extensively with families and outside agencies.

How do we provide for pupils’ with specific medical needs?

If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Individual Care Plan is compiled by Kerry Brooks. Care plans are discussed with all staff involved with the pupil.

Photographs of children with specific medical needs and details of their condition are displayed in the medical room.

Where necessary, and in agreement with parents/carers, medicines are administered in school but only where a medication agreement in line with the school’s Medication Policy is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.

Where a child’s condition requires more specialist support, the school will seek to work with appropriate medical professionals eg diabetic and epilepsy teams.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by their class teacher.
  • Their progress is reviewed every half term and discussed formally with the Principal and other members of the Senior Leadership Team every term.
  • The progress of children with a Statement of SEN or an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education and a Local Authority representative.
  • The SENCO monitors the progress of all children with SEND and checks that the support and interventions they are receiving are proving effective.

How accessible is the school environment?

Accessibility plans are written and reviewed according to the needs of pupils and staff. We are happy to discuss individual requirements at any time. 

Currently we have ramps into some parts of the building and grounds.

The school has a disabled toilet which is also large enough to accommodate a bed for physiotherapy sessions.

Refer also to the Continence Policy re toilet accessibility and personal care.

We have members of staff that have been Makaton trained.

We have a bi-lingual member of staff working in school to help children who have English as a second language.

Are extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND?.

All children are able to go on school trips, special arrangements will be discussed surrounding the needs of your child. Necessary risk assessments are undertaken and additional members of staff are allocated.

How will we support your child when they are joining or leaving this school? OR moving onto another class?

  • All new to Nursery pupils receive a home visit from our Nursery staff to share any information. There are also a number of taster sessions in the Nursery for parents and children so the children become familiar with the staff and the environment.
  • Meetings between the previous or receiving schools prior to your child joining/leaving.         
  • Pupils attend a Transition Day where time is spent with their new class teacher.
  • Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new class/school.
  • The Family Safeguarding Officer is always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.
  • Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school.
  • Miss Walker and the Year 6 teachers meet the SENCOs from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEN pupils.
  • Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting is arranged with the secondary school SENCo, the parents/carers and where appropriate the pupil.

What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with an SEND?

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • If your child has a Statement or EHC plan then we will hold an annual review you can request a review at any time.
  • We hold Parents’ Evenings three times a year, where you can look at your child’s work and have a discussion with the class teacher.

We can give you the telephone number of a service called SENDIASS; this service helps support parents of children with SEND by making phone calls, discussing reports, helping complete forms and attending review meetings with yourself if necessary.

Special Educational Needs and Disability, Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)       01724 277665

SENDIASS (formerly known as the Parent Partnership Service) provides a free, impartial and confidential service to parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) aged 0 - 25. We also support young people with SEND.  

What do our children think about the support they receive?